The Kalita Wave was invented in 2010 by a Japanese-based company named Kalita Co. With the release of a series of Kalita Wave drippers, the company aims to create the best pour-over experience possible. Kalita Co. aims to raise the bar with their own version of pour-over drippers.
What is a Kalita Wave?
The Kalita Wave is a pour-over dripper, which holds the filter and coffee beans as water drips through. Differently than other pour over drippers, the Kalita’s design aims to decrease channeling which happens when the beans brew unevenly, and water gets stuck, not passing through the filter as it should. This is overcome by having a flat bottom and three separate holes, which gives the coffee a more even flavor extraction and reduces coffee channeling. With the three-hole design and the flat bottom, the result is a super crisp, clean cup of coffee. Most pour-over coffee is already fresh and clean tasting, but the evenness of the extraction by the Wave is said to make it that much better.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Kalita Wave Brewer*
- Kalita Wave Filters*
- 22g Medium-Fine ground coffee
- Timer (if one is not built into scale)
- Gooseneck Kettle* / Hot Water (375g @ 205°)
- Mug or carafe to brew into
- Place the Kalita Wave brewer on your mug or carafe.
- Place the filter in the brewer and rinse with hot water to remove the paper taste. Discard the water in the mug or carafe.
- Place 22g of ground coffee in the filter and lightly shake to level the grounds bed.
- Place the mug or carafe with the brewer on the scale and tare it to 0.
- Start the timer and pour 50g of hot water into the center of the grounds, completely saturating them and starting the blooming process.
- At 45 seconds, start your second pour of water in a gentle and circular motion until a weight of 200g of water. (Don’t pour water on the edge of the filter)
- At 1:30, start your third pour for a weight of 300g of water in the same slow and circular motion.
- At 2:00, start your fourth and final pour for a final weight of 375g of water.
- The coffee should stop dripping around 3-4 min.
- Discard the filter with the used grounds.